Visitors

July 03, 2013

Dreaming of Writing

Some months ago I decided to participate in a writing competition. It was about writing a short story about anything. Only Swedish speaking people in Finland can compete in this annual competition and you have to be at least 30 years of age. You can not have had any of your work published before. 

I wrote my short story and sent it by mail. I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm waiting for the results. The winner will be announced in September. I'm sure my chance of being in the top five isn't big. The most important thing for me, as a writer, is that I took the chance and actually sent my short story. It was a big step for me.

When I woke up this morning I felt I want to do something more with my writing. I'm really starting to dream of writing a novel now. I've thought a little about different characters and the story. How can I do this? Is this only a dream or could I actually do it?

The thing is that I love to write, but I haven't read so many books in my life. I'm a pretty slow reader, but I really love to discover new authors and new books. It feels like I don't know enough about writing and that reading more novels would give me a more solid ground to start from if I'll write my own novel.

I guess I've always dreamed of writing something for others to read. I'm doing that on HubPages, but I'd like to write in my own mother tongue, and I'd like to reach out to the Swedish speaking people in Finland. I'm dreaming of writing more...